ONS Excellence Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Excellence in Cancer Prevention and Early Detection
Award:A $250 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the Opening Ceremonies at ONS Congress.
Purpose: To recognize and support excellence in nurses engaged in cancer prevention and early detection.
Nominee's Eligibility Criteria:
The candidate must meet the following criteria:
- ONS awards policies do not permit self-nominations for this award. To be considered eligible for this award, the nominee must be nominated by an ONS member in good standing. If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be a registered professional nurse and an active ONS member
- Have at least two years of oncology nursing experience
- Be a recognized expert in the field of cancer prevention and early detection (e.g., through publications, presentations, research, and peer review)
- Made a significant contribution to one or more of the following related to cancer prevention and early detection: professional/patient education, clinical practice, and/or nursing research
- Serves as a role model for other nurses.
The scoring criteria for judging this nomination packet is as follows:
- ONS involvement: Participation should include involvement at the local or national level.
- Includes membership on committees, holding office, or task force participation.
- Recognized expert in the field of cancer prevention and early detection, contributing to the development of cancer prevention and early detection.
- Includes articles in newsletters, journals, reports, video, multimedia, computer assisted instruction, chapters in books (do not include research here, include research in last criteria point)
- Significant contribution to the following areas:
- Professional/patient education related to cancer prevention and early detection
- Examples in letters of role modeling
- Specific educational interventions
- Program development
- Support groups
- Adjunct faculty to preceptor for students
- Community outreach
- Clinical practice related to cancer prevention and early detection:
- Theoretical concepts used
- Nursing process used
- Professional development of self and others
- Multidisciplinary collaboration
- Quality assurance
- Ethical decision-making used
- Reviews/applies nursing research
- Cancer prevention and early detection research
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THE SEPTEMBER 30, 5:00pm E.T. NOMINATION DEADLINE!
ONS uses an external, vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. The application system is set up so that at exactly 5:00pm ET (Eastern Time), September 30, the application site will automatically shut down and be locked. Any applications that are open (not completed) at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. It is imperative that all open applications be submitted prior to 5:00pm ET, September 30, in order to be accepted into the online system and be eligible for consideration. In order to be fair to all who may nominate individuals for consideration for an ONS award, the September 30, 5:00pm ET deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards Advisory Panel and the ONS Board of Directors. If you have any questions regarding the ONS awards nomination process, please call the ONS Awards staff (412) 859-6403, or email: email@example.com.
TO NOMINATE ONLINE:
- Please read the "How To" instructions before accessing the online nomination.
- Register by creating a username and password on the Closerware Grantmaker site.
- Access the online nomination.