Rose Mary Carroll-Johnson ONS Distinguished Award for Consistent Contribution to Nursing Literature
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Award: A $2,000 award, one roundtrip coach airfare to ONS annual Congress, one-day per diem for Congress, and a plaque.
Purpose: The purpose of the Rose Mary Carroll-Johnson ONS Distinguished Award for Consistent Contribution to Nursing Literature is to recognize an individual who has made consistent and significant contributions to the oncology nursing literature. Nominees for this award will be oncology nurses who have had an impact on the profession, specifically by using the written word to share research findings, describe content basic to the care of patients with cancer, and support the professional development of colleagues.
Nominees for this award must be an ONS member and nominated by an ONS member. In addition, the Nominees must be oncology nurses who have had an impact on the profession specifically by using the written word to share research findings, describe content basic to the care of patients with cancer, and support the professional development of colleagues. The Nominee must be an RN who:
- Has at least five years of experience in oncology nursing and five years of membership in ONS.
- Demonstrates longevity and consistency of oncology-related professional communication (e.g., an established pattern of regular publication in a variety of forums: cross-section of peer-reviewed journals, books, monographs, ONS publications).
- Demonstrates evidence of breadth of professional writing (e.g., variety of topics; variety of types of writing: journal-length, book chapters, editorials, letters to the editor, book reviews).
- Demonstrates appropriate depth of written material (e.g., quality of material, appropriateness to audience, comprehensiveness of coverage).
- Demonstrates evidence of mentorship for colleagues engaged in writing professional materials (e.g., formal teaching activity, membership on theses/dissertation committees, coauthorship on published materials, editorial activity on oncology-related books/materials or professional nursing journals).
- Writes materials that are used and cited by other authors.
Please note that the Rose Mary Carroll-Johnson ONS Distinguished Award for Consistent Contribution to Nursing Literature is the only ONS publishing award judged from nominations.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THE SEPTEMBER 30, 5:00pm E.T. NOMINATION DEADLINE!
ONS uses an external, vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. The application system is set up so that at exactly 5:00pm ET (Eastern Time), September 30, the application site will automatically shut down and be locked. Any applications that are open (not completed) at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. It is imperative that all open applications be submitted prior to 5:00pm ET, September 30, in order to be accepted into the online system and be eligible for consideration. In order to be fair to all who may nominate individuals for consideration for an ONS award, the September 30, 5:00pm ET deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards Advisory Panel and the ONS Board of Directors. If you have any questions regarding the ONS awards nomination process, please call the ONS Awards staff (412) 859-6403, or email: email@example.com.
TO NOMINATE ONLINE:
- Please read the "How To" instructions before accessing the online nomination.
- Register by creating a username and password on the Closerware Grantmaker site.
- Access the online nomination.