ONS Excellence Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Mary Nowotny Excellence in Cancer Nursing Education Award
Award: A $250 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the Opening Ceremonies at ONS Congress.
Purpose: This award is named in memory of Dr. Mary Nowotny, an active ONS member and past chair of the ONS Education Committee. She was a cancer-education advocate throughout her career and a widely published author, writing many articles on the measurement and significance of hope in patients with cancer. The Mary Nowotny Excellence in Cancer Nursing Education award recognizes and supports excellence in cancer nursing education.
Nominee's Eligibility Criteria:
The candidate must meet the following criteria:
- ONS awards policies do not permit self-nominations for this award. To be considered eligible for this award, the nominee must be nominated by an ONS member in good standing. If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be a registered professional nurse and an active ONS member
- Have a minimum of two years experience in oncology education
- Be an educator who is a recognized expert in cancer education because of his or her contributions to cancer education at the local, state, national, or international level.
Criteria: The scoring criteria for judging this nomination packet is as follows:
- Be an educator whose teaching in cancer education programs is consistent with the ONS/American Nurses Association Statement on the Scope and Standards of Oncology Nursing Practice and has basis in the ONS Standards of Oncology Nursing Education
- Educator has made contributions to cancer education at the local, state, national, or international level.
- Educator has, in implementing cancer education programs, met the identified needs for cancer nursing education in his or her geographical area.
- Educator implements programs that are well developed with clearly stated objectives.
- Content of programs is relevant to current cancer nursing practice and is well presented.
- Educator uses relevant and appropriate evaluation methods.
- Educator is knowledgeable in the content area, establishes a positive teacher-learner relationship, and promotes and supports cancer education
- Educator is supportive of and contributes to the development of professional oncology nursing practice.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THE SEPTEMBER 30, 5:00pm E.T. NOMINATION DEADLINE!
ONS uses an external, vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. The application system is set up so that at exactly 5:00pm ET (Eastern Time), September 30, the application site will automatically shut down and be locked. Any applications that are open (not completed) at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. It is imperative that all open applications be submitted prior to 5:00pm ET, September 30, in order to be accepted into the online system and be eligible for consideration. In order to be fair to all who may nominate individuals for consideration for an ONS award, the September 30, 5:00pm ET deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards Advisory Panel and the ONS Board of Directors. If you have any questions regarding the ONS awards nomination process, please call the ONS Awards staff (412) 859-6403, or email: email@example.com.
TO NOMINATE ONLINE:
- Please read the "How To" instructions before accessing the online nomination.
- Register by creating a username and password on the Closerware Grantmaker site.
- Access the online nomination.