ONS Publishing Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Excellence in Writing Award for Qualitative Nursing Research
Purpose: To recognize and reward excellence in nursing research publication in a naturalistic paradigm of inquiry. The award is given for the product of scientific inquiry. The award will consist of $1,000 and a certificate, presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing/research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the annual ONS Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
Eligibility Criteria for Nomination
A published article is eligible if
- It meets general nomination criteria.
- The research was conducted in the qualitative paradigm of inquiry.
- Methodology comprises a naturalistic design including, but not limited to, grounded theory, ethnography, phenomenology, narrative analysis, discourse analysis, historical, philosophical inquiry, or critical social theory, and employs qualitative approaches to data collection and analysis. Mixed methods designs are eligible in this category only if the dominant method of data collection and analysis is qualitative.
- Authors answer innovative and important questions in cancer care that are grounded in the experiences of the participants.
- Article makes a significant contribution to the theoretical literature.
- Authors demonstrate exemplary adherence to the qualitative methodology selected and the highest scientific rigor.
- The article shows exemplary inductive reasoning in the articulation of the findings with theoretical claims and with other empirical and theoretical works.
- Figures and tables are superior in their clarity, simplicity, coherence of the presentation of emerging theoretical constructs.
- Overall, the article is an exemplar of qualitative nursing research and suggests ways to translate findings to clinical practice in cancer care.
Application Process: All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered for the award.