ONS Excellence Awards
All awards, grants, and scholarships are tentative and subject to change based on funding availability.
Excellence in Radiation Therapy Nursing Award
Award: A $250 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the Opening Ceremonies at ONS Congress.
Purpose: To recognize and support excellence in radiation therapy nursing.
Nominee's Eligibility Criteria:
The candidate must meet the following criteria:
- ONS awards policies do not permit self-nominations for this award. To be considered eligible for this award, the nominee must be nominated by an ONS member in good standing. If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements please contact email@example.com.
- Be a registered professional nurse and an active ONS member
- Have at least two years of oncology nursing experience
- Be a recognized expert in the field of radiation oncology (e.g., through publications, presentations, research, peer review)
- Have made a significant contribution to one or more of the following related to radiation oncology: professional/patient education, clinical practice, and /or nursing research
- Serve as a role model for other radiation oncology nurses.
Criteria: The scoring criteria for judging this nomination packet is as follows:
- Clinical Practice. Consistently demonstrates exemplary understanding and execution of the care of patients receiving radiation therapy.
- Education. Shares knowledge of practice with students, peers, patients, and the community. (Examples include, but are not limited to, joint appointment(s), precepting students, staff development, program planning, patient teaching, outreach programs, and CNE programs).
- Research. Demonstrates commitment to the advancement of practice through evidence of participation in research and research activities (possible activities include participation as data collector, site coordinator, study monitor, member of research team, co-investigator, principal investigator in a clinical research study related to radiation therapy. In addition, participation in research utilization activities, which promote research-based radiation oncology nursing practice).
- Speaking. Regularly demonstrates expertise in field through public speaking and is recognized as an effective oral communicator.
- Publication. Regularly contributes to the literature on issues regarding radiation therapy (includes articles in newsletters, journals, reports, video, multimedia, computer assisted instruction, or chapters in books).
- ONS Leadership. Participates in ONS activities at the local or national level. (Participation should include involvement at the local or national level, and includes membership on committees, holding office, or task force participation).
- Professional Practice. Provides leadership in activities, which advance the practice of radiation nursing (activities may include staff development, program development, patient teaching, or support groups. It might also include community outreach such as work with the ACS, Leukemia Society, or camps for cancer patients, or "survivors' day" activities.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THE SEPTEMBER 30, 5:00pm E.T. NOMINATION DEADLINE!
ONS uses an external, vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. The application system is set up so that at exactly 5:00pm ET (Eastern Time), September 30, the application site will automatically shut down and be locked. Any applications that are open (not completed) at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. It is imperative that all open applications be submitted prior to 5:00pm ET, September 30, in order to be accepted into the online system and be eligible for consideration. In order to be fair to all who may nominate individuals for consideration for an ONS award, the September 30, 5:00pm ET deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards Advisory Panel and the ONS Board of Directors. If you have any questions regarding the ONS awards nomination process, please call the ONS Awards staff (412) 859-6403, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO NOMINATE ONLINE:
- Please read the "How To" instructions before accessing the online nomination.
- Register by creating a username and password on the Closerware Grantmaker site.
- Access the online nomination.