Aerobic and Strength Training Exercises
The Specific Effects of Aerobic Exercise
Studies of aerobic exercise regimens ranging from supervised treadmill tests to stationary bike programs three times a week for 10–12 weeks showed that participants experienced (Visovsky & Dvorak, 2005)
- Decreased fat mass; increased lean mass
- Less noticeable symptoms
- Less nausea
- Increased maximal oxygen uptake during exertion (VO2 max)
- Increased functional capacity
- Less depression, anxiety, emotional distress
- Less fatigue.
The Specific Effects of Resistance/Strength Training Exercise
Research in people without cancer demonstrates that strength training (Hacker, 2009)
- Increases muscle mass, strength and endurance
- Improves physical functioning
- Enhances endurance.