Leading from the Future
The 2012-2016 ONS Strategic Plan has four pillars: Knowledge, Leadership, Quality and Technology.
The goal of the Leadership Pillar states:
- Through ONS involvement, members become leaders and effective cancer care advocates in their workplace, community, and the Society.
Working toward this goal, there are several exciting initiatives currently underway...
The ONS Leadership Competencies were developed by ONS members to define the skills needed at the individual, group, and governance levels of leadership. Nurses are leaders in their personal and professional lives, and these extensive competencies will help nurses identify areas for growth across several domains.
Leadership Virtual Community
- Learn the latest about leadership activities at ONS
- Archived leadership webcasts
- Leadership resources
- Leadership competencies
- 8-week intensive course exploring multiple leadership topics
- Faculty-guided course
- Students identify a mentor to work with throughout the course
- Interaction encouraged throughout course
- Course includes text, links, videos, and presentations
- Topics include:
- Leadership theories
- Mentorship- serving and receiving
- Understanding self
- Effective communication, negotiation, and conflict utilization
- Leading change
- Advocacy, ethics, and healthcare trends
- And, much more!