Nurses can minimize exposure to hazardous drugs with the use personal protective equipment and careful technique. Spill kits should be available wherever chemotherapy is located. Although they are commercially available, a clinicians can assemble their own kit if they choose to.
Contents of a Hazardous Drug Spill Kit
- Absorbent chemotherapy pads and towels
- 2 disposable chemotherapy-resistant gowns (with back closure)
- 2 pairs of chemotherapy-resistant shoe covers
- 4 pairs of chemotherapy gloves
- 2 pairs of chemical splash goggles
- 2 respirator masks approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- 1 disposable dustpan
- 1 plastic scraper
- 1puncture-proof container for glass
- 2 large heavy-duty waste sealable disposal bags
- 1 hazardous waste label (if bags are unlabeled)
Reference: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. (2006). ASHP guidelines on handling hazardous drugs. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 63, 1172-1191.