What is a Diversity Champion?
Diversity Champions are ONS members who utilize their strengths and interests to support equal access, diversity, and the ideals of inclusiveness within their regions, institutions, and ONS chapters.
Promote understanding, acceptance, and tolerance toward ONS members of diverse backgrounds by providing an inclusive environment and increase the diversity of members representing the Society at all levels.
The Diversity Champions assist in managing diversity and inclusiveness in various aspects of the Society including membership recruitment and retention, cultural competency initiatives, educational programming and publication production. This initiative will encourage oncology nurses to take personal responsibility for learning and changing, and for transforming that personal change into organizational change. This is the foundation for an inclusive and a welcoming Society.
Some of the activities Diversity Champions can do:
- Recruit members of diverse backgrounds, cultures and lifestyles to ONS
- Ensure adequate representation of all groups in ONS programs and activities
- Develop learning programs regarding various cultures and groups
- Recruit more minorities, students, men and diploma nurses into mentoring programs
- Encourage members to champion job shadowing initiatives
- Encourage diverse members and non-members to move outside of their comfort zone and seek out leadership opportunities they are qualified for within ONS
- Serve as a catalyst for improved workforce development
- Identify challenges in the cancer practice setting that are unique to under- represented groups (i.e. ethnic minorities, men, diploma nurses, etc.)
- Schedule programs and provide concepts and strategies essential to understanding culturally competent care in the cancer practice setting
- Expand awareness and knowledge of Racial/Ethnic disparities in both cancer illnesses and wellness
- Promote diversity/inclusiveness of thought and style among ONS members and across all ONS products, services and programs
Diversity Champions Toolkit
If you are interested in getting involved in ONS in an important and exciting way, contact Kate Shaughnessy. We would love to hear your ideas, articles, and experience, and we need your enthusiasm and dedication to this integral value of inclusiveness in ONS!
Cultural Competency Examination