CONSTIPATION SEARCH STRATEGY AND RESULTS
Initial references prior to update: 24
Databases searched for update: PubMed, CINAHL, Cochrane Collaboration, NCCN
Search results of literature retrieved January 1, 2009–December 9, 2016:
- ("Constipation/therapy"[MAJR]) OR ((Constipation[mesh] OR Constipat*[ti]) AND (cancer OR neoplasms OR opioid*) AND Therapy/Broad[filter]) OR ((Constipation[majr] OR Constipat*[ti]) AND (cancer[ti] OR opioid*[ti] OR palliative[ti])) AND ("2009/01/01"[PDAT] : "2016/12/09"[PDAT])
- 1,902 citations retrieved
- (MM "Constipation/TH" OR TI constipat*) AND (cancer OR neoplasms OR opioid* OR palliative)
- Limiters: English Language; Human
- 200 citations retrieved
152 titles were selected for full article review.
89 final studies were included after the removal of duplicates and studies that did not meet inclusion criteria and the addition of manuscripts retrieved in other topics meeting constipation-related criteria.
1. Full research report, systematic review, guideline or meta-analysis
2. Study must report results of measurement of constipation
3. The study examines an intervention aimed at affecting constipation.
4. Study sample must include patients with cancer
5. As of 1/1/2016, additional inclusions are (a) sample size of at least 40 or 20 per study group, and (b) for complex interventions, the description of the intervention must be sufficient to identify the components of that intervention.
*Prior to 2011, evidence considered included studies unrelated to cancer patients.
1. Grey literature