DYSPNEA SEARCH STRATEGY AND RESULTS
Initial references prior to update: 30
Databases searched for update: PubMed, CINAHL, Cochrane Collaboration, and NCCN
Search results of literature retrieved 1/1/2009–7/31/2015:
- (Therapy/Broad[filter] OR systematic[sb]) AND (((Dyspnea[majr] OR Dyspnea[ti] OR dyspnoea[ti] OR breathless*[ti]) AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms[majr])) OR ((cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms[majr]) AND (dyspnea OR dyspnoea OR breathless*) AND (heliox OR bipap OR cpap OR pleura OR thoracentesis OR pleurodesis OR "Pleuroperitoneal shunt*" OR "Tracheal stent*" OR "tracheobronchial stent*" OR "airway stent*" OR "Medical air" OR airflow OR tripod OR Fowler* OR "Cool room" OR "cool air"))) AND ("2009/01/01"[PDAT] : "2015/07/31"[PDAT])
- 254 citations retrieved
- ((MM "Dyspnea/CI/DH/DT/NU/PC/RT/RH/SU/TH") OR (TI Dyspnea OR TI dyspnoea OR TI breathless*) OR (dyspnea AND (heliox OR bipap OR cpap OR pleura OR thoracentesis OR pleurodesis OR "Pleuroperitoneal shunt*" OR "Tracheal stent*" OR "tracheobronchial stent*" OR "airway stent*" OR "Medical air" OR airflow OR tripod OR Fowler* OR "Cool room" OR "cool air")) ) AND ( cancer OR neoplasms OR oncolog* )
- Limiters: English Language; Clinical Queries: Therapy - High Sensitivity, Therapy - High Specificity, Therapy - Best Balance
- 58 citations retrieved
- Bausewein, C., Booth, S., Gysels, M., & Higginson, I. (2009). Non-pharmacological interventions for breathlessness in advanced stages of malignant and non-malignant diseases. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2009(1). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005623.pub2
- Cranston, J.M., Crockett, A., & Currow, D. (2009). Oxygen therapy for dyspnoea in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2009(3). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004769.pub2
- Rueda, J.R., Sola, I., Pascual, A., & Casacuberta, M.S. (2012). Non-invasive interventions for improving well-being and quality of life in patients with lung cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2012(9). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004282.pub3
- Simon, S.T., Higginson, I.J., Booth, S., Harding, R., & Bausewein, C. (2010). Benzodiazepines for the relief of breathlessness in advanced malignant and non-malignant diseases in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2010(1). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007354.pub2
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. (2012). NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Palliative care [v.2.2012]. Retrieved from http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/palliative.pdf
96 titles were selected for a full article review.
82 final studies were included after the removal of duplicates and studies that did not meet inclusion criteria and the addition of manuscripts retrieved in other topics meeting dyspnea-specific criteria.
1. Full research report, systematic review, guideline, or meta-analysis
2. Study must report results of measurement of dyspnea
3. Study examines an intervention aimed at affecting the symptom of dyspnea
4. Study sample must include patients with cancer
5. As of 1/1/2016, additional inclusions are (a) sample size of at least 40 or 20 per study group, and (b) for complex interventions, the description of the intervention must be sufficient to identify the components of that intervention.
1. Grey literature
2. Descriptive-only study
3. Samples of pediatric patients (< 19 years old)