MUCOSITIS SEARCH STRATEGY AND RESULTS
Initial references prior to update: 63
Databases searched for update: PubMed, CINAHL, NCCN, Cochrane Collaboration
Search results of literature retrieved May 1, 2008–February 28, 2015:
- Mucositis[ti] OR Mucositis[majr] OR "oral complication*" AND ("2008/05/01"[PDAT] : "2015/02/28"[PDAT] AND cancer[sb] AND English[lang])
- 907 citations retrieved
- (MM "Mucositis" OR MM "Stomatitis" OR TI Mucositis OR TI stomatitis OR "oral complication*") AND (cancer OR neoplasms OR oncolog* OR chemotherap*)
- Limiters: Published Date: 20080501-20150228
- 398 citations retrieved
- NCCN: No results
- Clarkson, J.E., Worthington, H.V., Furness, S., McCabe, M., Khalid, T., & Meyer, S. (2010). Interventions for treating oral mucositis for patients with cancer receiving treatment. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2010(8). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001973.pub4
- Worthington, H.V., Clarkson, J.E., Bryan, G., Furness, S., Glenny, A.M., Littlewood, A., . . . Khalid, T. (2011). Interventions for preventing oral mucositis for patients with cancer receiving treatment. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2011(4). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000978.pub5
- Worthington, H.V., Clarkson, J.E., & Eden, O.B. (2004). Interventions for treating oral mucositis for patients with cancer receiving treatment. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2004(2). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001973.pub2
224 titles were selected for full article review.
153 final studies were included after the removal of duplicates and studies that did not meet inclusion criteria and the addition of manuscripts retrieved in other topics meeting mucositis-specific criteria.
1. Full research report, systematic review, guideline, or meta-analysis
2. Study must report results of measurement of oral mucositis
3. The study examines an intervention aimed at affecting the problem of oral mucositis.
4. Study sample must include patients with cancer
1. Grey literature
2. Descriptive studies
3. Studies reporting intervention effects on the pain of mucositis but not the actual incidence or severity of the symptom itself