PREVENTION OF INFECTION SEARCH STRATEGY AND RESULTS
Initial references prior to update: 31
Databases searched for update: PubMed, CINAHL, NCCN, and Cochrane Collaboration
Search results of literature retrieved 1/1/2009–1/12/2016:
- ((Therapy/Broad[filter] OR systematic[sb]) AND (("Cross Infection/prevention and control"[MAJR] OR infection control[majr]) AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms[majr]))) OR (("Anti-Infective Agents/therapeutic use"[MAJR] OR "Antibiotic Prophylaxis/nursing"[Majr] OR "Antibiotic Prophylaxis/standards"[Majr]) AND (cancer[ti] OR chemotherapy[ti] OR oncol*[ti])) OR (Neutropenia/prevention and control[MAJR]) OR ((Therapy/Broad[filter] OR systematic[sb]) AND (neutropenia[majr] OR neutropen*[ti]) AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms[majr] OR chemotherapy*)) OR (Antifungal Agents/therapeutic use[MAJR] AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms[majr] OR chemotherap*)) AND ("2009/01/01"[PDAT] : "2016/01/12"[PDAT])
- 2,795 citations retrieved
- ((MM "Cross Infection/PC" OR MM infection control) AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms)) OR ((MM "Antinfective Agents/TU" OR "MM Antibiotic Prophylaxis/NU" OR "MM Antibiotic Prophylaxis/ST") AND (TI cancer OR TI chemotherapy OR TI oncol*)) OR MM “Neutropenia/PC” OR ( (MM neutropenia OR TI neutropen*) AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms OR chemotherap*)) OR ( MM “Antifungal Agents/TU” AND (cancer OR oncolog* OR neoplasms OR chemotherap*))
- Limiters: English Language; Clinical Queries: Therapy - High Sensitivity, Therapy - High Specificity, Therapy - Best Balance
- 379 citations retrieved
371 titles were selected for a full article review.
220 final studies were included after the removal of duplicates and studies that did not meet inclusion criteria and the addition of manuscripts retrieved in other topics meeting prevention of infection-specific criteria.
1. Full research report, systematic review, guideline, or meta-analysis
2. Study must report results of measurement of prevention of infection or febrile neutropenia
3. Study examines an intervention aimed at affecting infection or febrile neutropenia
4. Study sample must include patients with cancer
5. Include samples with pediatric cases
6. Include patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (Bone marrow transplant was not previously included in PEP® resources. Search for bone marrow transplant-related studies with a timeframe beginning in 2000.)
7. As of 1/1/2016, additional inclusions are (a) sample size of at least 40 or 20 per study group, and (b) for complex interventions, the description of the intervention must be sufficient to identify the components of that intervention.
1. Grey literature
2. Descriptive studies
3. Studies investigating or comparing treatments for febrile neutropenia