SLEEP/WAKE DISTURBANCES SEARCH STRATEGY AND RESULTS
Initial references prior to update: 24
Databases searched for update: PubMed, CINAHL, NCCN, and Cochrane Collaboration
Search results of literature retrieved 1/1/2009–5/31/2015
- Sleep Disorders/therapy[mesh] OR Sleep Initiation and Maintenance Disorders[mesh] OR Sleep Initiation and Maintenance Disorders/therapy[mesh] OR (sleep[ti] AND disturb*[ti]) OR (sleep[ti] AND wake[ti]) OR (sleep[ti] AND cancer[ti]) OR (insomnia[ti] AND cancer[ti]) AND ("2009/01/01"[PDAT] : "2015/05/31"[PDAT] AND cancer[sb])
- 201 citations retrieved
- (TI sleep OR MJ sleep OR TI insomnia OR MJ insomnia OR TI restless OR MJ “restless legs” OR "wake N2 disturbanc*" OR MH Sleep Disorders) AND (cancer* OR neoplasm* OR oncolog*)
- Limiters: English language; Clinical Queries: Therapy - High Sensitivity, Therapy - High Specificity, Therapy - Best Balance
- 254 citations retrieved
- No results
- Mishra, S.I., Scherer, R.W., Geigle, P.M., Berlanstein, D.R., Topaloglu, O., Gotay, C.C., & Snyder, C. (2012). Exercise interventions on health-related quality of life for cancer survivors. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2012(8). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007566.pub2
115 titles selected for full article review
138 final studies included after removal of duplicates and studies that did not meet inclusion criteria, and addition of manuscripts retrieved in other topics meeting sleep/wake disturbances-specific criteria
1. Full research report, systematic review, guideline or meta-analysis
2. Study must report results of measurement of sleep disturbance or sleep quality.
3. The study examines an intervention aimed at affecting the symptom of sleep disturbance or sleep quality.
4. Study sample must include patients with cancer.
5. As of 1/1/2016, additional inclusions are (a) sample size of at least 40 or 20 per study group, and (b) for complex interventions, the description of the intervention must be sufficient to identify the components of that intervention.
1. Grey literature
2. Descriptive study