Mary Nowotny Excellence in Cancer Nursing Education Award
Recognize excellence in cancer nursing education.
A $500 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress.
The nominee must be an active ONS member who has been nominated by an ONS member. In addition, the nominee should
- Be a registered professional nurse and an active ONS member
- Have a minimum of two years' experience in oncology education
- Be an educator who is a recognized expert in cancer education because of his or her contributions to cancer education at the local, state, national, or international level.
The following materials are required.
- Nomination narrative statement
- Nominee's resume or curriculum vitae
- Nominee's personal statement
- Two (2) letters of support
Nomination Deadline Notice
ONS uses a vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. At exactly 5 pm ET on September 30, the application site will automatically shut down. Any applications that are not completed at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. This deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards advisory panel and the ONS Board of Directors.
The scoring criteria for judging this nomination packet is as follows.
- The nominee is an educator whose teaching in cancer education programs is consistent with the ONS/American Nurses Association Statement on the Scope and Standards of Oncology Nursing Practice and has basis in the ONS Standards of Oncology Nursing Education.
- Educator has made contributions to cancer education at the local, state, national, or international level.
- Educator has, in implementing cancer education programs, met the identified needs for cancer nursing education in his or her geographical area.
- Educator implements programs that are well developed, with clearly stated objectives.
- Content of programs is relevant to current cancer nursing practice and is well presented.
- Educator uses relevant and appropriate evaluation methods.
- Educator is knowledgeable in the content area, establishes a positive teacher-learner relationship, and promotes and supports cancer education
- Educator is supportive of and contributes to the development of professional oncology nursing practice.
The recipient will receive travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress. ONS will reimburse the award recipient for round-trip economy airfare to and from the recipient's home address to the Congress location, provided the recipient makes all travel arrangements through American Express Travel, ONS's official travel agency. Additionally, one (1) night's lodging will be permitted provided that the recipient makes the hotel arrangements through the ONS meetings department. Meals for a 24-hour period will be reimbursed, along with the reimbursement of certain ground transportation situations and parking, but there are limitations. Please contact email@example.com for complete details about the travel reimbursement policy.