Excellence in Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Award
Honor an exemplary nurse engaged in cancer prevention and early detection.
A $500 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress.
The nominee must be an active ONS member who has been nominated by an ONS member. In addition, the nominee should
- Be a registered professional nurse and an active ONS member
- Have at least two years of oncology nursing experience
- Be a recognized expert in the field of cancer prevention and early detection (i.e., through publications, presentations, research, and peer review)
- Demonstrate a significant contribution to one or more of the following related to cancer prevention and early detection: professional/patient education, clinical practice, and/or nursing research
- Serve as a role model for other nurses.
The following materials are required.
- Nomination narrative statement
- Nominee's resume or curriculum vitae
- Nominee's personal statement
- Two (2) letters of support
Nomination Deadline Notice
At exactly 5 pm ET on September 30, the application site will automatically shut down. Any applications that are not completed at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. This deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards advisory panel and the ONS Board of Directors.
ONS involvement: Participation should include involvement at the local or national level.
- Includes membership on committees, holding office, or task force participation.
- Recognized expert in the field of cancer prevention and early detection, contributing to the development of cancer prevention and early detection.
- Includes articles in newsletters, journals, reports, video, multimedia, computer assisted instruction, chapters in books (do not include research here, include research in last criteria point)
Significant contribution to the following areas.
- Professional/patient education related to cancer prevention and early detection
- Examples in letters of role modeling
- Specific educational interventions
- Program development
- Support groups
- Adjunct faculty to preceptor for students
- Community outreach
Clinical practice related to cancer prevention and early detection.
- Theoretical concepts used
- Nursing process used
- Professional development of self and others
- Multidisciplinary collaboration
- Quality assurance
- Ethical decision-making used
- Reviews/applies nursing research
- Cancer prevention and early detection research
The recipient will receive travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress. ONS will reimburse the award recipient for round-trip economy airfare to and from the recipient's home address to the Congress location, provided the recipient makes all travel arrangements through American Express Travel, ONS's official travel agency. Additionally, one (1) night's lodging will be permitted provided that the recipient makes the hotel arrangements through the ONS meetings department. Meals for a 24-hour period will be reimbursed, along with the reimbursement of certain ground transportation situations and parking, but there are limitations. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for complete details about the travel reimbursement policy.