Excellence in Writing Award for Quantitative Nursing Research
To recognize and reward excellence in quantitative nursing research publication. The award is granted for the product of scientific inquiry.
A $1,000 award and a certificate presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing or research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the ONS Annual Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
A published article is eligible for this award if
- The research was conducted in the quantitative paradigm of inquiry.
- The methodology comprises a logical positivist/reductionist design including, but not limited to, experimental, quasi-experimental, correlational, or descriptive, as well as appropriate statistical analyses.
Mixed-method designs are eligible in this category only if the dominant method of data collection and analysis is quantitative.
ONS does not accept nominations or applications for the Excellence in Writing Award for Quantitative Nursing Research. All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered automatically.
- Authors pose and answer an important, timely question that is directly connected to a body of scientific and theoretical literature that relates directly to oncology nursing practice.
- Article makes a significant contribution to the empirical literature.
- Authors demonstrate exemplary reasoning in the inclusion and articulation of a conceptual model or theoretical premises from background through conclusions.
- The article is exemplary in its articulation of findings from previous studies with hypotheses, current findings, and discussion.
- Tables and figures are superior in their clarity, simplicity, and reporting of statistical information.
- Overall, the article is an exemplar of quantitative nursing research and suggests ways to translate findings to clinical practice in cancer care.