To recognize and reward excellence in the authorship of a paper that advances oncology nursing
A $1,000 award and a certificate presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing or research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the ONS Annual Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
- It is a clinical presentation of content on a subject that includes, but is not limited to, a drug or class of drugs; a specific cancer diagnosis; symptom management; topics related to the physical, psychological, spiritual, or social care of patients with cancer; genetics; prevention/detection; research methodology; ethics; or nursing profession-oriented topics.
- It is not a report of research.
ONS does not accept nominations or applications for the Susan Baird Excellence in Clinical Writing. All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered automatically.
- The subject is original, timely, and directly connected to a body of scientific and theoretical literature related to nursing.
- The article is clearly written and flows well. It creatively and appropriately includes tables, figures, illustrations, and photographs.
- The article provides comprehensive and up-to-date information about the subject in a readable format.
- The article can be appreciated by a wide range of oncology nurse readers.
- Authors articulate the significance of the issue to oncology nursing practice.