To recognize and reward excellence in the written description of a patient education development activity or an innovation in delivery of professional nursing education, either in the context of an academic program, continuing nursing education, or staff development. Content may be presented in the context of a research report, clinical article, or expanded feature in ONF or CJON. The number of commendations may vary from year to year.
A certificate presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing or research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the ONS Annual Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
- As its primary focus, has a description of an educational intervention for patients/families or an approach to education of the professional nurse (academic or staff development)
- Is selected by the editor of ONF or CJON based on subject matter and exemplary presentation
- Has a nurse as the first author
- Achieves a combined average score exceeding 20 on the scoring criteria.
ONS does not accept nominations or applications for the Commendation for Outstanding Achievement for Oncology Nursing Education or Patient/Family Education. All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered automatically.
- The authors identify a new approach/intervention/method for education of patients/family or professional nurses or scientifically validate an existing approach/intervention/method.
- The article identifies and incorporates relevant educational ideas or theories.
- The article addresses a range of concerns regarding educational endeavors including needs for the program, development, evaluation of impact, and offers ideas for future research/development as appropriate.
- The article is written clearly and descriptive enough for replication of the teaching strategies/program or delivery of information.
- The content is adaptable to a wide variety of clinical or academic situations as appropriate.