To recognize and reward excellence in nursing research publication in a naturalistic paradigm of inquiry. This award is given for the product of scientific inquiry.
A $1,000 award and a certificate presented to and accepted by the first author on behalf of the writing or research team. These papers will be acknowledged at the ONS Annual Congress in the compendium of awards, honors, and other special recognitions produced and distributed annually by ONS.
- The research was conducted in the qualitative paradigm of inquiry.
- The methodology comprises a naturalistic design including, but not limited to, grounded theory, ethnography, phenomenology, narrative analysis, discourse analysis, historical, philosophical inquiry, or critical social theory, and employs qualitative approaches to data collection and analysis.
ONS does not accept nominations or applications for the Excellence in Writing Award for Qualitative Nursing Research. All published articles that meet the selection criteria will be considered automatically.
- Authors answer innovative and important questions in cancer care that are grounded in the participant experiences.
- Article makes a significant contribution to the theoretical literature.
- Authors demonstrate exemplary adherence to the qualitative methodology selected and the highest scientific rigor.
- The article shows exemplary inductive reasoning in the articulation of the findings with theoretical claims and with other empirical and theoretical works.
- Figures and tables are superior in their clarity, simplicity, coherence of the presentation of emerging theoretical constructs.
- Overall, the article is an exemplar of qualitative nursing research and suggests ways to translate findings to clinical practice in cancer care.