Diarrhea Search Strategy and Results
Initial references prior to update: 24
Databases searched for update: PubMed, CINAHL
Search results of literature retrieved January 1, 2009–December 9, 2016:
- (Diarrhea[ti] OR diarrhoea[ti] OR "Diarrhea/chemically induced"[Majr] OR "Diarrhea/drug therapy"[Majr]) AND ("2009/01/01"[PDAT] : "2016/12/09"[PDAT] AND cancer[sb])
- 997 citations retrieved
- ( (MM "Diarrhea/DH/DT/CI/NU/PC/TH") OR TI Diarrhea OR TI diarrhoea ) AND ( cancer OR neoplasms OR oncolog* OR chemotherapy )
- Limiters: English Language; Clinical Queries: Therapy - High Sensitivity, Therapy - High Specificity, Therapy - Best Balance; Human
- 47 citations retrieved
67 titles were selected for full article review.
70 final studies were included after the removal of duplicates and studies that did not meet inclusion criteria and the addition of manuscripts retrieved in other topics meeting diarrhea-specific criteria.
- Full research report, systematic review, guideline or meta-analysis
- Study must report results of measurement of chemotherapy- or radiotherapy-induced diarrhea
- The study examines an intervention aimed at affecting diarrhea.
- Study sample must include patients with cancer
- As of 1/1/2016, additional inclusions are (a) sample size of at least 40 or 20 per study group, and (b) for complex interventions, the description of the intervention must be sufficient to identify the components of that intervention.
- Grey literature
- Descriptive studies
- Studies involving the management of postoperative diarrhea or patients with ostomies