The 2012-2016 ONS Strategic Plan has four pillars: Knowledge, Leadership, Quality and Technology.
The goal of the Leadership Pillar states:
- Through ONS involvement, members become leaders and effective cancer care advocates in their workplace, community, and the Society.
Working toward this goal, there are several exciting initiatives currently underway...
- Define the role of the oncology nurse leader
- Identify three levels of mastery: individual, group and governance.
- Describe the domains of Vision, Knowledge, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Personal Mastery and Systems Thinking.
- Now in final stages of development.
Leadership Virtual Community
- Learn the latest about leadership activities at ONS
- Archived leadership webcasts
- Leadership resources
- Leadership competencies
- 8-week intensive course exploring multiple leadership topics
- Faculty-guided course
- Students identify a mentor to work with throughout the course
- Interaction encouraged throughout course
- Course includes text, links, videos, and presentations
- Leadership theories
- Mentorship- serving and receiving
- Understanding self
- Effective communication, negotiation, and conflict utilization
- Leading change
- Advocacy, ethics, and healthcare trends
- And, much more!