To recognize and support excellence in radiation therapy nursing
A $250 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the opening ceremonies at the ONS Annual Congress
- Be a registered professional nurse
- Have at least two years of oncology nursing experience
- Be a recognized expert in the field of radiation oncology (i.e., through publications, presentations, research, peer review)
- Have made a significant contribution to one or more of the following related to radiation oncology: professional/patient education, clinical practice, and /or nursing research
- Serve as a role model for other radiation oncology nurses.
- Nomination narrative statement
- Nominee's resume or curriculum vitae
- Nominee's personal statement
- Two (2) letters of support
- Clinical practice: Consistently demonstrates exemplary understanding and execution of the care of patients receiving radiation therapy.
- Education: Shares knowledge of practice with students, peers, patients, and the community. (Examples include, but are not limited to, joint appointment(s), precepting students, staff development, program planning, patient teaching, outreach programs, and CNE programs).
- Research: Demonstrates commitment to the advancement of practice through evidence of participation in research and research activities (possible activities include participation as data collector, site coordinator, study monitor, member of research team, co-investigator, principal investigator in a clinical research study related to radiation therapy. In addition, participation in research utilization activities, which promote research-based radiation oncology nursing practice).
- Speaking: Regularly demonstrates expertise in field through public speaking and is recognized as an effective oral communicator.
- Publication: Regularly contributes to the literature on issues regarding radiation therapy (includes articles in newsletters, journals, reports, video, multimedia, computer assisted instruction, or chapters in books).
- ONS leadership: Participates in ONS activities at the local or national level. (Participation should include involvement at the local or national level, and includes membership on committees, holding office, or task force participation).
- Professional practice: Provides leadership in activities, which advance the practice of radiation nursing (activities may include staff development, program development, patient teaching, or support groups. It might also include community outreach such as work with the ACS, Leukemia Society, or camps for cancer patients, or "survivors' day" activities.
The recipient will receive travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress. ONS will reimburse the award recipient for round-trip economy airfare to and from the recipient's home address to the Congress location, provided the recipient makes all travel arrangements through American Express Travel, ONS's official travel agency. Additionally, one (1) night's lodging will be permitted provided that the recipient makes the hotel arrangements through the ONS meetings department. Meals for a 24-hour period will be reimbursed, along with the reimbursement of certain ground transportation situations and parking, but there are limitations. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for complete details about the travel reimbursement policy.