To recognize and support excellence in patient and public education
A $500 award, a plaque, and travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress
- Be a registered professional nurse
- Have a minimum of two years experience in oncology nursing.
- Nomination narrative statement
- Nominee's resume or curriculum vitae
- Nominee's personal statement
- Two (2) letters of support
ONS uses a vendor-supported online program for all award nomination applications. At exactly 5 pm ET on September 30, the application site will automatically shut down. Any applications that are not completed at this time will be terminated and will not be accepted. This deadline cannot be extended without prior authorization from the ONS Awards advisory panel and the ONS Board of Directors.
Nominations are closed and will reopen in the spring of 2017.
- Candidate teaches patients or community groups in manner consistent with the ONS Standards of Oncology Education: Patient/Family and Public.
- Candidate identifies needs for education in patients, families, or communities and plans innovative programs to meet those identified needs.
- Programs have clearly stated objectives.
- Content of program(s) is relevant to population served.
- Creative strategies and presentation techniques are used in implementing program.
- Program evaluation methods are appropriate.
- Candidate serves as a role model for other nurses.
- Candidate creates a network to sustain health-promoting behaviors.
- Candidate establishes positive teacher-learner relationships.
To access nomination form, please click here.
The recipient will receive travel reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress. ONS will reimburse the award recipient for round-trip economy airfare to and from the recipient's home address to the Congress location, provided the recipient makes all travel arrangements through American Express Travel, ONS's official travel agency. Additionally, one (1) night's lodging will be permitted provided that the recipient makes the hotel arrangements through the ONS meetings department. Meals for a 24-hour period will be reimbursed, along with the reimbursement of certain ground transportation situations and parking, but there are limitations. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for complete details about the travel reimbursement policy.