The Oncology Nursing Society ("ONS"), the ONS Foundation, the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation, and ONS:Edge (together, "affiliated organizations") respect the privacy needs and concerns of their customers.
This policy applies to any personal information that a customer provides in connection with activities, transactions, and websites of ONS and its affiliated organizations. This policy describes the personal information that ONS or its affiliated organizations may gather from customers, what is done with it, safeguards for its protection, and customer control of its use.
Personal information is collected and used in accordance with U.S. law. If a customer shares information with ONS or its affiliated organizations, U.S. law dictates how that information is collected, stored, processed, and used. Non-U.S. customers should not share information unless they consent to the application of U.S. law. This policy shall not be construed to limit or prohibit access to or use of personal information for legitimate and legal functions of ONS or its affiliated organizations.
Collection of Personal Information
Personal information means information that relates to an individual who can be identified from that information. Personal information does not include information that has been deidentified. Examples of personal information include:
- Date of birth
- E-mail address
- Identification numbers (Social Security number, credit card information)
Deidentification means altering or removing personal identifiers (e.g. name, Social Security number) from personal information.
Use of personal information of customers means when ONS and its affiliated organizations collect personal information from individuals or customers, ONS and its affiliated organizations endeavor to notify individuals or customers how their personal information will be used. Personal Information will be used in a manner consistent with the notice given to an individual at the time of collection of personal information or when other consent for the use of personal information is given by the individual. Individuals have the choice to opt-out such that ONS and its affiliated organizations will not thereafter use Personal Information.
ONS and its affiliated organizations are committed to employing reasonable technology to protect the security of collected personal information and websites. ONS and its affiliated organizations will take reasonable and appropriate measures to protect customer information from loss, misuse, alteration, or destruction, and, where possible, will ask that any third parties to whom they may transfer personal information take comparable steps to protect that security.
ONS and its affiliated organizations may collect personal information related to the following activities.
- Purchases, orders, returns, exchanges, or requests for information about membership, products, and services, including information needed to process transactions, prevent fraud, and/or provide customer assistance
- Participation in advisory panels, mentoring programs, project or planning teams, boards, and other activities or projects sponsored by ONS and its affiliated organizations
- Registration with a website or feature of a website managed by ONS or its affiliated organizations, including chapter or special interest group online communities
- Maintenance of membership directories
- Administration of surveys
- Collection of information provided by service providers to assess and improve products and services
Note the following.
- Registration with websites of ONS and its affiliate organizations is optional. Not registering may preclude you from accessing specific members-only or registration-required pages or completing specific transactions online.
- Although users do not have to provide information in order to access ONS or its affiliated organizations' main websites, information such as Internet protocol addresses, page requests, browser type, operation system, and average time spent on sites may be collected and monitored for quality improvement.
- ONS or its affiliated organizations may elect to restrict access to specific website content to members and/or individuals willing to register and allow some use of personal information. All potential uses of personal information will be made known to nonmember registrants at the time of registration. Nonmember registrants may then elect to not register if they do not agree to the use of their personal information.
- Individuals using ONS or its affiliated organizations' websites are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their access information, including user name and password, and for restricting access to their computers. Users agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under use of their user name. ONS will never ask for user names or passwords in any unsolicited communications, including correspondence such as letters, phone calls, or email messages.
- All customer data provided to ONS and its affiliated organizations becomes the property of ONS and its affiliated organizations.
- California residents have the right to request one Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure per year that will identify the third parties with whom ONS and its affiliated organizations have shared the information they have collected from you. Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure may be requested by contacting ONS and its affiliated organizations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 125 Enterprise Drive Pittsburgh PA 15275 Attention: Customer Service. A response to a request for a Notice of Information-Sharing Disclosure will be sent within 30 days.
Use of Personal Information
To serve members and customers better, ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may combine Personal Information received on websites or via phone or mail with publicly available information and information received from or cross-referenced with marketing partners or others. This information may be used to generate demographic summaries that are disclosed in summary form only to third-party development partners and industry supporters for the express purpose of evaluating funding opportunities and services. These summaries contain non-identifiable, aggregated information.
Some ONS and its Affiliated Organizations' operations may be managed by unaffiliated companies. These companies may have access to customer information to perform their functions.
ONS rents mailing lists to companies and organizations seeking to reach ONS and its Affiliated Organizations' customers with information related to oncology nursing, cancer care, and other healthcare issues. ONS and its Affiliated Organizations provide customer names and preferred addresses (home or work as specified by each individual customer) to list renters that may be used only for a mail piece approved by ONS and its Affiliated Organizations. Phone numbers and fax numbers are not made available for purchase or rental. Email addresses are not released to any third party except service providers who act on behalf of ONS and its Affiliated Organizations. ONS and its Affiliated Organizations reserve the right to send email communication to ONS and its Affiliated Organizations' customers via email on behalf of a third party, subject to approval by ONS and its Affiliated Organizations. ONS and its Affiliated Organizations' customers have the ability to opt-out of such mailings and email communications, resulting in such customer's name and address not being included in mailing list rentals and customer's email address being excluded from third party communications.
ONS includes a personally identifiable barcode on attendee badges at national conferences. By scanning a badge at an exhibitor booth, session, registration, satellite symposia, or other location, an attendee agrees to release Personally Identifiable information, including demographics, name, business address (or preferred address if business address is not available), credentials, email address, business phone number, and fax number. Such information has been released by the customer who uses a bar code badge. ONS maintains no further obligation regarding further use of the Personally Identifiable information.
ONS may offer meeting attendees the opportunity to obtain a roster of meeting attendees. Meeting rosters will contain attendee names and email addresses. If customer has not opted-out of the ONS membership directory, customer's name and email address will be included on meeting rosters provided to attendees.
ONS and its Affiliated Organizations occasionally publish customer information via electronic and printed materials. Some examples include listings of Boards of Directors, editorial contacts, and membership directories. Any published customer information shall be limited to the customer's name, credentials, email address, city, state, and country.
In the event that ONS and its Affiliated Organizations or some of their assets are sold or transferred or used as security, customer information may be transferred to third parties as part of that transaction. ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may also provide information or provide access to information between Affiliated Organizations or to ONS and its Affiliated Organizations' business partners.
If ONS and its Affiliated Organizations are requested by law enforcement officials or judicial authorities to provide information on individuals or customers, ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may, without consent and without notice, provide such information. In matters involving claims of personal or public safety or in litigation where the data is pertinent, ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may use or disclose Personal Information without consent or court process. ONS and its Affiliated Organizations will provide Personal Information in response to a search warrant or other legal inquiry or court order, or to an investigative body or in litigation involving ONS and its Affiliated Organizations. ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may also disclose Personal information to assist in debt collection.
ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may use Personal Information of customers to contact customers about the marketing of future events and meetings.
ONS and its Affiliated Organizations may use Personal Information in ways that are not restricted by its policies or legal requirements if ONS and its Affiliated Organizations determines that the uses are consistent with ONS and its Affiliated Organizations' nursing and cancer care mission and of the type of interest to ONS and its Affiliated Organizations customers.
Agreements With Third Parties
Third parties, who perform services for ONS and its Affiliated Organizations (e.g. mailing houses) with access to customer information provided by ONS and its Affiliated Organizations will be required to maintain use of customer information only to perform the requested service.
Questions about the handling of personal information may be directed to
Oncology Nursing Society
125 Enterprise Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Policy Effective Date: September 2006
ONS Board of Directors Approved 7/06; 3/07; 10/09; 12/11