Oncology Nursing Month
May Is Oncology Nursing Month
You're there to explain the diagnosis, guide them through treatment, celebrate their victories, and comfort them through the unimaginable. That's why we celebrate you, the oncology nurse, this month and every month after.
Order your Oncology Nursing Month Products
Take part in Oncology Nursing Month with celebration-worthy products like shirts, tumblers, and totes with this year's theme: The Art of Caring. The Science of Care. Proceeds benefit the ONS Foundation, whose mission is to support cancer nursing excellence. Bulk discounts are available on most products. Click here to visit the 2018 nursing month store.
Pin Your Oncology Nursing Month Poster to the Bulletin Board
All ONS members will receive a poster with their April 2018 edition of the ONS Voice. A limited supply will also be available through ONS customer relations. Hang it with pride in your workplace where everyone can see it.
Take Time to Celebrate
You provide steadfast and selfless care for your patients. Take a moment to reflect and focus back on yourself and your colleagues. Here are some simple ways to show your pride for your profession and commend one another's daily efforts!
- Buy flowers or cookies for the oncology nursing staff or colleagues.
- Hold an Oncology Nurse Appreciation Day at your hospital. This can be done for the employees of your hospital or clinic as well as those from the area. Invite employees and the general public.
- Order Oncology Nursing Month gifts.
- Develop an Oncology Nursing Month display to acknowledge cancer nurses in your workplace.
- Arrange a social gathering with your local ONS chapter and seek donations toward the event from your oncology department and/or hospital administration.
- Plan an educational program in your community, such as a free cancer screening.
- Sponsor a child at a cancer camp.
- Hold a potluck dinner with your staff.
- Speak to students about a career in oncology nursing. Remember, full-time students receive a free student membership with ONS!*
Volunteer With ONS
Become an active member of the ONS community by volunteering to improve oncology nursing and patient care. ONS has a number of ways for you to get involved. Some take only a few minutes, and others require a larger commitment—find your best fit.
Spread the Word
Are you doing something special to celebrate? If so, pitch your story to local media to generate interest in your events. We suggest a few story ideas here.
- A feature about a day-in-the-life of an oncology nurse.
- A story about how an oncology nurse made a difference in the care of a patient.
- Highlight of a community-service project in which your chapter or organization was involved.
- A story about a cancer-related issue that is receiving media attention or that is of particular interest to your community.
- A letter to the editor on behalf of your chapter or institution.
- Promotion of an upcoming educational meeting.
- A feature about awards received by local oncology nurses.
Honor An Oncology Nurse
Do you know a nurse who has made a real difference in oncology nursing in your local area? Consider nominating him or her for one of many ONS awards, which honor ONS members who display a special commitment to their field. Most awards include a plaque, a cash award, and reimbursement to attend the ONS Annual Congress. Nominations will open in mid-February.
You can also honor a nurse by donating to the ONS Foundation in his or her name.
Step Into the Spotlight
We want to hear how you're celebrating Oncology Nursing Month! Follow us @oncologynursing on Twitter and Instagram and tag us in your celebration. We will be featuring your photos throughout the month.
*Available to all pre-licensure students enrolled full-time in a nursing program.