Get Up, Get Moving
Help Your Patients Get Up, Get Moving
What Is Get Up, Get Moving?
Get Up, Get Moving is a national quality campaign developed by ONS member experts to encourage oncology nurses to implement an evidence-based change in practice and recommend physical activity to patients with cancer during cancer treatment.
The aim of this national quality campaign is to provide the education and resources necessary to increase the frequency with which oncology nurses recommend individualized physical activity to patients with cancer.
Oncology nurses will provide individualized physical recommendations for physical activity to 100,000 or more patients receiving any treatment modality—chemotherapy, radiation, and immunotherapy—for cancer in 2016.
Why Is Physical Activity Important for Patients With Cancer?
- Helping to manage anxiety and depression
- Improving sleep quality
- Managing lymphedema
- Maintaining bone and muscle strength
- Decreasing recurrence.
Please find additional references here.
Become a Get Up, Get Moving Champion
View our nurse and patient teaching videos and incorporate these resources into your cancer treatment education programs.
- Get Up Get Moving Overview
- Get Up Get Moving: A Patient's Journey to Physical Activity
- Get Up Get Moving: A Nurse's Journey to Physical Activity
To request permission to reuse or adapt these videos into your teaching resources at no cost, please email email@example.com. Additionally, ONS welcomes the opportunity to license our intellectual property.
Physical Activity Recommendation Toolkit
Patient Teaching Resources
Helpful Tools and Forms
- Physical Activity Recommendation Form
- General Exercise Guidelines for Cancer Survivors
- Godin Leisure-Time Exercise Questionnaire
- National Resources for Individualized Physical Activity Plans for Cancer Survivors
- Physical Activity Risk Stratification
- Types of Physical Activity by Intensity
- Par-Q & You
- The Timed Up and Go Test
Staff Education Resources
Putting Evidence Into Practice Resource
Help ONS Achieve This Practice Change to Improve the Quality of Cancer Care
- Complete 10 physical activity recommendations and submit Summary of Recommendation here.
- Use the Get Up, Get Moving patient teaching video for patient and staff education, and share it with your leadership.
- Track the number of patients given recommendations for exercise with this form using the ONS Quality Measures as part of your quality monitoring program.
ONS permits the copying of materials published on this website for individual noncommercial use. Requests to reuse content from this site for commercial or other purposes outside of the Copyright and Intellectual Property terms should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.